The Splendor & Awe of NCC14

The Splendor & Awe of NCC14 - an Australian Pacific Tour of New Zealand

featuring digital images by DonThomasPics.com Copyright 2005 -  

                   


Church of the Good Shepherd

                                     


      On Sunday, March 13, we stopped by a small stone church next to Lake Tekapo on our way back to Christchurch.  On that day that we visited the Church of the Good Shepherd, it was gloomy and chilly.  Many of our group remained on the  coach as others enjoyed the opportunity to take photographs and see the church more closely.

                     


            


      The images of the church on this page have been retouched so that the day looks as bright and cheerful as we felt while we were there.

            

      The stone shown at right was laid by H.R.H. The Duke of Glouster on January 16, 1935.

                      


                       


      The church was completed in the same year and it became the first to be built in the MacKenzie Basin.  R.S.D. Harman (1896-1953) was the architect and this was his first full-church design.  The gothic design was inspired by drawings submitted by a local painter, Esther Hope (1885-1975) of Grampians Station.

                    


 


      At right is a shot of the opposite side of the church as visitors enjoy stopping in and enjoy its internal architecture.

               


                    

                        

      Near the church is this 1968 monument (above right) offering tribute to the Collie which is credited for its help to steer grazing sheep.

                                           

            


Click HERE to jump to the top of this page.

Click HERE to return to the Main page.

Click HERE for information regarding the photographs on this site.